Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Helping a fellow blogger...

Just got this from a fellow blogger please read and see what you can do to maybe help this sweet girl, Haley.....
Haley
 

Be A Donor - Save A Life - An Urgent Request


Many of us don't think much about being a donor... unless something happens to us or a loved one.... then the thinking.. the doing begins, doesn't it?

In 1995 - I became severely anemic due to acute kidney failure... I was in the hospital and needed several blood transfusions... This was a time when not much was known about HIV or AIDS and many were fearful of blood that came from the blood banks... Word got out to family and friends that I needed blood... I was unaware that there were people standing in line - many people - I had never met - standing in line to give their blood... for me.... I received a phone call up to my room asking me if the hospital could use any of the excess blood given to me - there were others that needed blood as well.... Later I found that over thirty people cared enough about my life to try to save it.... I was deeply humbled by this and will never forget that there is so much kindness in this world... That there are people willing to go the extra mile to save a stranger... a stranger like me....

The other day - I wrote a post asking for people to donate blood to help a young girl obtain a bone marrow transplant... Please read Haley's Story Here...

Today I was contacted by Erika Toto from DKMS Americas - the worlds largest bone marrow donor center - She gave me a lot of information that can help Haley's family move in the right direction to obtain a donor.... The family will be meeting with Be The Match this week - Be The Match is the National Registry for Bone Marrow. DKMS adds all of their donors to the Be The Match Registry and DKMS does NOT require any of the donors or volunteers to cover the costs of registration. Donors can request kits from around the country on their website www.getswabbed.org/register.. They will receive their free kit within 3 business days. I'm thinking this makes testing a bunch easier don't you... Before you leave this blog - Please request your kit today!

Today - I am asking a for a few things... 1 - Please link or post this and Haley's Story on Your Blog... 2 - Please Tweet this post and Haley's Story... 3 Please pray for Haley and her family's journey... 4 - Please like Haley's Facebook page - and post on your Facebook and finally - 5 -please post this post and Haley's story on your Facebook... We need to get the word out - not just for Haley but for the many others who are in desperate need of bone marrow....

You are eligible to be a donor if you meet the following:
  • Be between the ages of 18 and 55
  • Be in good general health
  • Weigh more than 110lbs but not exceed BMI 40
  • Not be HIV positive or have AIDS
  • Not have had heart surgery or heart disease
  • Not have an autoimmune disorders such lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or multiple sclerosis
  • Not have sleep apnea, breathing problems or sever asthma (daily inhalers are acceptable)
  • Not have diabetes requiring insulin
  • Not have hepatitis B or C
  • Not have a stroke (including TIA)
  • Not have chronic or severe neck or back problems
  • Not have epilepsy or have a had a seizure within one year
  • Not have a blood clot or a bleeding disorder
  • Not have a personal history of cancer (melanoma, breast, bladder, and cervical cancer)
Please get the word out to save a life... Save many lives.... Make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment